So I waited
Once we arrived they got her right in. Amazing really 'cuz, how often does that happen?! Did I mention she was still crying out in awful pain? And still burning with a fever, despite the Tylenol?! The doctor ordered a chest x-ray and determined she had pneumonia. After about 1.5 hours we were on our way home with a prescription, relieved. Little did we know, it...was...not...over.
When we were at the ER we noticed a collar-shaped redness around her neck and down her torso. The doctor attributed this to the pneumonia and the vascular upset that she was experiencing with the fever, coughing and crying. So we went along with that. Until 2 a.m. She awoke crying again, still in pain, itching wildly and was red from head-to-toe looking like she had spent two hours too many on the beach with no sunscreen on. Recalling the discharge paper which said that pneumonia is often accompanied by a rash that looks like MEASLES I told myself, "Well, this is one serious manifestation of that side effect!" To help try and soothe her I rubbed her down with powder. That didn't work. She was still beside herself digging and scratching. I then rubbed her down with lotion. That didn't work. Now it was nearly 5 a.m. and she was hysterical, burning with fever and had made scratches all over herself.
She needed help, and quick! I called her pediatrician who wanted her to come in immediately. On the way I had an AH-HA moment while thinking of those discharge papers (measles like rash) and remembering the doctors words 10 days ago at her five year check up after she received her MMR vaccine. "If she is going to have a reaction to any vaccine at all it'll be this one." No! Could it be?! Once we arrived I told the doctor about her shots. She was certain that not only did our Miss Grace have DOUBLE pneumonia (we weren't told THAT at the ER-they said it was only on the left side where her pain is), but...she was having an extreme reaction to the MMR vaccine.
My. Poor. Baby. I've never seen any of my children such as mess, it was awful. After leaving there (with yet another medication to give her) we went home praying that she would get some relief from the fever, the pain in her side and arm, the itching and the weakness that was now making her listless.
Amazingly after just 24 hours on ALL of those medications and LOTS of prayers from the good people at our church, she was showing major signs of improvement. Sunday morning she went back for more blood work and we received the good news that they were where they should be. Praise God!
Today, Tuesday, she returned to school. Her teacher reported that she did well considering all she'd been through. We are SO grateful. It was a scary three days. Mostly because of how quickly her condition declined. I will NEVER take a nasty cough for granted again. And I am SO glad that it'll be many years before she needs an MMR shot again.
Grateful and Humbled,
~Kate-Lyn~
How scary!! We did a bout of pneumonia the first winter she was home but nothing that bad. I am glad she is on the mend.
ReplyDeleteTooooooo scary!!!! I had a student once who had a horrible reaction to her DPT shot (according to her parents,she went from gifted to having to have a one-on-one full time special ed aide at school. So glad Grace is fine now.
ReplyDelete